- Acute myeloid leukemia
- Stem cell transplantation and cell therapy
- Research methodology and biostatistics
- Multiple myeloma
- Welcome Trust/DBT India Alliance Early Career Fellowship in 2017
- The Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University Medal in Clinical Haematology in 2016
- ICMR Short term studentship award in 2005 and 2006
- Indian National Biology Olympiad Gold Medal in 2003
- National Talent Search Scholarship in 2001
I am interested in devising therapeutic strategies using cell therapy for the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia.
Welcome Trust / DBT India Alliance Early Career Fellowship in 2017 for the project titled “Evaluation of efficacy of ex-vivo expanded and optimized natural killer cells as an adjunct to allogeneic stem cell transplantation in the treatment of de novo acute myeloid leukemia.”
George B, Nisham PN, Devasia AJ, Kulkarni U, Korula A, Lakshmi KM, Abraham A, Srivastava A, Mathews V. Post-Transplant Cyclophosphamide as Sole Graft-versus-Host Disease Prophylaxis Is Feasible in Patients Undergoing Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation for Severe Aplastic Anemia Using Matched Sibling Donors. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2017 Oct 31. PubMed PMID: 29100905.
Ganesan S, Alex AA, Chendamarai E, Balasundaram N, Palani HK, David S, Kulkarni U, Aiyaz M, Mugasimangalam R, Korula A, Abraham A, Srivastava A, Padua RA, Chomienne C, George B, Balasubramanian P, Mathews V. Rationale and efficacy of proteasome inhibitor combined with arsenic trioxide in the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia. Leukemia. 2016 Nov;30(11):2169-2178. PubMed PMID: 27560113.
Kulkarni U, Valson A, Korula A, Mathews V. Leukocyte Derived Chemotaxin 2 (ALECT2) Amyloidosis. Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis. 2015 Jul 1;7(1):e2015043. PubMed PMID: 26185608.
Sabnis GR, Kulkarni UP, Gokhale YA. Dapsone-induced neutropenia with invasive pulmonary aspergillosis. Lung India. 2012 Apr;29(2):185-6. PubMed PMID: 22628940.
- Pandey DB, Pednekar SJ, Chavan SA, Korivi D, Shah AK, Kulkarni UP. VACTERL Association. J Assoc Physicians India. 2011 Jul;59:447-9. PubMed PMID: 22315751.
- Sabnis GR, Gokhale YA, Kulkarni UP, Joshi AR. Young male with syncope, absent lower limb pulses, hypertension and systolic murmur. J Assoc Physicians India. 2011 Jun;59:374. PubMed PMID: 21751592.
Kulkarni UP, Gokhale YA, Raut PM, Dargad RR. An unusual cause for sicca syndrome. J Postgrad Med. 2011 Apr-Jun;57(2):129-30. PubMed PMID: 21654136.
- Pandey DB, Pednekar SJ, Chavan SA, Korivi D, Shah AK, Kulkarni UP. A case of nephrotic syndrome with Gitelman's syndrome. J Assoc Physicians India. 2010 May;58:324-5. PubMed PMID: 21117355.
- Sabnis GR, Gokhale YA, Kulkarni UP. Tocilizumab in refractory adult-onset Still's disease with aseptic meningitis--efficacy of interleukin-6 blockade and review of the literature. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2011 Feb;40(4):365-8. PubMed PMID: 20621335.
Dangayach NS, Kulkarni UP, Panchabhai TS. Mentoring medical student research through studentships and fellowships: reflections from India. J Postgrad Med. 2009 Apr-Jun;55(2):152-3. PubMed PMID: 19550069.
- Kulkarni UP, Karnad DR, Gogtay NJ. Genetics of warfarin response. N Engl J Med. 2008 Jun 19;358(25):2742-3. PubMed PMID: 18572454.
- Kulkarni UP, Swar BD, Karnad DR, Davis S, Patwardhan AM, Kshirsagar NA, Gogtay NJ. A pilot study of the association of pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic parameters of warfarin with the dose in patients on long-term anticoagulation. Br J ClinPharmacol. 2008 May;65(5):787-90. Epub 2008 Feb 21. PubMed PMID: 18294321.
- Panchabhai TS, Kulkarni UP, Rege NN. Validation of therapeutic claims of Tinospora cordifolia: a review. Phytother Res. 2008 Apr;22(4):425-41. PubMed PMID: 18167043.
- Kulkarni UP. The Bayesian clinician. J Postgrad Med. 2007 Oct-Dec;53(4):267-9. PubMed PMID: 18097119.
- Gogtay NJ, Kulkarni UP, Panchabhai TS. Adverse reactions to anti fungals. Adverse Drug Reaction Bulletin 2008; 251.
September 2003 to February 2008 – MBBS from Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai (Maharashtra University of Health Sciences).
- May 2009 to June 2012 – MD in General Medicine from Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Sion, Mumbai (Maharashtra University of Health Sciences).
- August 2013 to July 2016 – DM in Clinical Haematology at Christian Medical College, Vellore (The Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University).
February 2008 to February 2009 – Internship at King Edward Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai.
- June 2012 to July 2012 – Senior resident in Medicine at Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Sion, Mumbai.
- August 2012 to December 2012 – Specialty Medical Officer at ESIS Hospital, Ulhasnagar, Maharashtra.
- January 2013 to July 2013 – Assistant Professor in Medicine at Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Sion, Mumbai.
- September 2016 till date – Assistant Professor in Haematology, Christian Medical College, Vellore.